3M Very High Bonding Tape is a double sided tape range that is the cost effective solution that provides an outstanding performance every time. In many situations, VHB tape can replace rivets, welds, screws and other forms of mechanical fasteners.
3M VHB Tape permanently adheres one substrate to another whilst spreading the stress load across the entire length of the joint. Once the substrates are joined with high-strength 3M VHB Tape, a virtually indestructible weld is created.
Which 3M VHB Tape is most suitable for your application?
The VHB Tapes are grouped together.
The adhesive provides excellent adhesion to a broad range of high and medium surface energy substrates. The conformable adhesive foam core provides good contact even with mismatched substrates. The combination of foam strength, conformability and adhesion makes this family one of the most capable all-round 3M VHB Tape.
- wide variety of plastics
- plasticised vinyl
The family has a modified acrylic adhesive on both sides of a conformable adhesive foam core.
- most powdered coated paints
The adhesive provides good adhesion to a variety of high and medium surface energy substrates. The conformable adhesive foam core also provides good contact even with mismatched substrates.
- wide variety of plastics
- mismatched substrates
3M VHB Adhesive Transfer Tape are a high performance acrylic adhesive which have an excellent long term holding power with a much higher adhesion strength than typical pressure sensitive adhesive systems. The adhesive transfer tapes are transparent, very thin and are ideal for use in many interior and exterior industrial applications to replace mechanical fastenings.
Why use VHB tape?
Very high bond replacing mechanical fastenings:
VHB tape has a very high bond – hence its name. The viscoelastic properties helps to absorb the shock whilst distributing the stress load. Distributing the stress load results in high holding power in static and dynamic loads
Sealing against environment:
As the adhesive within the VHB tape flows into microscopic surface irregularities to provide a seal against environmental conditions and a high performance bond. The adhesive systems within the VHB tape resists attack from the UV light.
Virtually invisible bonds:
VHB tape comes in a variety of colours; clear, white, grey and black. With VHB tape the surfaces stay clean and smooth. There are no unsightly rivet heads or weld distortions to grind and refinish.
Cuts cost and increases manufacturing efficiency:
Replacing mechanical fastenings with VHB tape eliminates drilling, riveting, welding and screw manufacturing, which reduces time spent. The application of VHB tape requires minimal training and little capital investment which saves both time and costs.
Where will you find VHB in industry?
- VHB tape can bond glass fibre reinforced plastic skins to frames in many transport applications
- VHB tape can replace rivets in panels of a bus which save time and cost.
- In trains, trucks and buses, VHB tape can help to dampen the vibration on exterior panels and interior trims.
- VHB tape can securely bond stainless steel to aluminium wing flaps in aeroplanes. VHB can survive the ground-to-air temperature swings of 65 degrees to minus 40 degrees Celsius. The use of VHB tape to bond two metals together on aeroplanes also reduces the potential for corrosion.
- VHB tape can bond a battery to the back of an integrated circuit as the tape helps to absorb the shock which allows continued electrical contact.
- Die-cut pieces of VHB tape can secure flexible circuits and in extreme soldering temperatures.
- VHB tape can offer a clean and sleek surface which is free of rivets and bolts, allowing greater graphic impact
- Assembling traffic signs with VHB tape helps to save time and workload.
- Aluminium sheets are bonded continuously which distributes evenly rather than pressure points with rivets
- VHB tape can hold up to more than 4000 kilos of mirrored ceiling, the ceiling is smooth with no distortion
- Using VHB tape as an alternative to rivets, screws and other mechanical fastening systems helps save time and costs
- VHB tape eliminates visible mechanical fastenings which results in a smooth and aesthetically pleasing finish
Metal & Plastic Fabrication:
- VHB tape bonds panel stiffeners on contact to pre-painted metal, while unlike welding, while applying the tape does not damage the finish
- VHB tape replaces spot welds that are previously used to mount air filter brackets inside galvanised steel air conditioner housings
Surface Preparation and Technical Applications:
There are simple steps to take to ensure the quality of the VHB tape application. Bonding surfaces should be clean and dry.
Recommended is the VHB surface cleaner or surface wipes as due to its make-up it is good on many surfaces including: metals, plastics and painted materials. The surface cleaner cuts through the contaminant leaving a grease-free surface, flashes off and dries quickly ready for bonding.
VHB applicator pads are recommended to wipe the pad in one direction so that any contamination is taken away from the surface in the same direction. Wiping in circles or in both directions risks the remains of debris or grease.
Moreover there is VHB silane glass primer which is recommended for untreated glass, this ensures improved conditions to ensure a better bond with VHB.
The strength of the bond is dependent upon the degree of adhesive-to-surface contact that is developed. Firm application pressure develops better adhesive contact between the VHB tape and the substrates. Using a VHB tape roller to apply firm pressure to the application for a roll finished joint.
After the VHB application the bond strength will increase as the adhesive flows into the surface. 50% of its ultimate strength will be achieved after 20 minutes, 90% of its ultimate strength will be achieved after 24 hours and 100% will be reached after 72 hours. Alternatively, the ultimate bond strength can be achieved more quickly by increasing the exposure of the bond to elevated temperatures ie. 70°C for 1 hour.
|RP25||12mm, 19mm, 25mm,||P||Grey||0.6mm|
|RP45|| 12mm, 19mm, 25mm,
|RP62|| 12mm, 19mm, 25mm,
|4611|| 12mm, 19mm, 25mm,
|4613|| 12mm, 19mm, 25mm,
|4655|| 19mm, 25mm,
|4905|| 12mm, 19mm, 25mm,
|4910||6mm, 12mm, 19mm, 25mm,||F||Clear||1.0mm|
|4912||6mm, 12mm, 19mm, 25mm,
|4915||6mm, 12mm, 19mm, 25mm,
|4918|| 12mm, 19mm, 25mm,
|4919|| 12mm, 25mm,
|4930|| 12mm, 19mm, 25mm,
|4932|| 12mm, 19mm, 25mm,
|4941|| 12mm, 19mm, 25mm,
|4943|| 12mm, 19mm, 25mm,
|4945|| 12mm, 19mm, 25mm,
|4947|| 12mm, 19mm, 25mm,
|4950|| 12mm, 19mm, 25mm,
|4951||6mm, 12mm, 19mm, 25mm,
|4952|| 12mm, 19mm, 25mm,
|4956|| 12mm, 19mm, 25mm,
|4957|| 12mm, 19mm, 25mm,
|4959|| 12mm, 19mm, 25mm,
|4991|| 12mm, 19mm, 25mm,
|5925|| 12mm, 19mm, 25mm,
|5952|| 12mm, 19mm, 25mm,
|9473||1/2", 1", 12"||T||Clear||0.25mm|
F = Filmic Liner
P = Paper Liner
T = Poly Coated Tan Paper
You can find more information about VHB tape with our blog post explaining how the adhesive within VHB is keep everything together or the product category for VHB. If you would like any information on VHB or any of our products please drop us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or 0117 971 1111.